Reitz Memorial High School

Reitz Memorial High School or simply Memorial High School inside Evansville, is a diocesan interparochial Catholic High school in Evansville, Indiana. It sits on a 13-acre (53,000 m2) tract of land off Lincoln Avenue that was donated by Francis Joseph Reitz in 1922. The school officially opened its doors on January 5, 1925. It is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Evansville. The IHSAA uses Evansville Memorial High School instead of Reitz Memorial mainly to distinguish the school from the older public Reitz High School, which is also named in honor of Francis Joseph Reitz.

Reitz Memorial is a Catholic high school. More than 95% of its students graduating in 2010 attended a four-year college or university. It is one of two Catholic high schools that serve the students of Vanderburgh, Posey, Gibson, and Warrick counties. It also has a significant number of students from Henderson County, Kentucky which is part of the greater-Evansville metropolitan area.


In 1922 Francis Joseph Reitz pledged the money for the school to be built, but didn’t start until he found the perfect site for this school. He finally found a 13-acre (53,000 m2) lot off of Lincoln Avenue. The school was originally staffed by Brothers of the Holy Cross in the boys’ section of the school, and Sisters of Providence for the girls’ section.

The original gym was located on the Auditorium’s stage. Varsity basketball games were played at the old Agoga Tabernacle, 318 SE Fourth St until that building was a razed in 1969. In 1969, a new addition was completed. The new wing extending along Bennighof Avenue came with expanded first and second floors, a new gym, band room, and library. The new gym could hold up to 2,000 people. The school, originally an all-boys school, eventually admitted female students. Boys were taught by the Brothers of Holy Cross and the girls by the Sisters of Providence. Female cheerleaders weren’t allowed to participate until 1967.

The format of the school pretty much remained the same until 1998, when a new addition, costing roughly $5 million would be added. The new wing, also known as “the west wing” added eight more classrooms, two art studios, two science labs, a wrestling room, a second smaller gymnasium, and a new media center. This media center was home to new computers, a large amount of books, and a place where students could study quietly throughout the day. The final renovations increased the student capacity to 900 students


State Titles
Baseball (1978), (1989), (1993)
Football (1937*), (1958*)
Girls Soccer (1989*) (1997), (2008), (2012)
Softball (2002)
Girls Tennis (1991), (1993), (1994), (1995), (1996), (2005), (2012)
Boys Soccer (1979*), (1980*), (1981*), (1983*), (1984*), (1986*), (1988*), (1989*), (1990*), (1992*), (2007), (2008)
Girls Basketball (2011)
Individual Wrestling State Championship (2007)

  • Indicates title won before IHSAA State Tournament was initiated.

Also hold 11 non-IHSAA state titles: 10 in boys soccer and one in girls bowling (1997).

National Titles
Football (1937)
Boys Soccer (2007*)

  • National Champions, ranked #1 in Adidas Top 25

Notable alumni

Louie Iaccarino
Kate Endress
Don Mattingly
Larry Stallings
Jonathan Weinzapfel
Kyle Kuric
Billy Hillenbrand
Ashley Vezzoso
Scott Cannon
Ryan Brownlee
Aaron Gries

Notable Coaches

Don Ping

This page is a Wiki! Log in or register an account to edit.