McCurdy Hotel

Contents

[ hide ]

  1. 1 History

The McCurdy Hotel is a historic building in the Riverfront District of Evansville, Indiana, built in the colonial revival style and designed by architect Henry Ziegler Dietz. The McCurdy was constructed on the former site of the St. George Hotel, which was razed in 1915. It opened for business on June 17, 1917 and closed on March 16, 1969 due to bankruptcy. Plans are in place now to convert the building into upscale apartments.

History

The McCurdy Hotel was developed as “a luxurious facility to aid the city’s expansion efforts”. It was named after Col. William H McCurdy, local industrialist and investor.

The aging St George Hotel, on the existing site, was torn down in 1915. Designed by H Ziegler Dietz, the u-shaped, 8-story building featured a grand Rose Room located on the top floor. The hotel was built in opened for business on June 17, 1917.

The McCurdy was operated as a Van Orman Hotel. It had many prominent guests including Katharine Hepburn, Clark Gable, Sen. Joseph McCarthy and former President Richard Nixon.

Business dwindled in the 1960s and The hotel closed its doors March 16, 1969.

Local Evansville business man, Robert E Green, bought and reopened the Hotel briefly, but it was closed again by October of 1970. Green sold the building to the Medco Corporation who wanted to turn the building into a residential facility and retirement home.

In 1989, it was resold again, becoming the McCurdy Healthcare Center.

In June 2006, McCurdy was renamed Riverwalk Communities and changed its cliental focus. After several violations and citations from the Board Of Health. The facility agreed to cease operations.

Plans are in place now to convert the building into upscale apartments by the Kunkel Group.

This page is a Wiki! Log in or register an account to edit.
Sidebar